Story and photos by Meredith Willse
TODD COUNTY, Ky. — Thirteen minions made from hay have taken over South Main Street in Trenton as a part of the Todd County Bale Trail.
The Bale Trail is a product of the Todd County Alliance. Board member Denise Shivers said a committee came up with the idea in effort to attract people to the area.
“How do you enjoy a rural farming county?” she asked rhetorically.
The answer is a trail of artistic hay creations with 31 stops across Todd County in Kirkmansville, Guthrie, Elkton and Trenton.
Characters on the trail range in creativity from the minions from the animated movie “Despicable Me” to a big red bird from the mobile game Angry Birds. Only in its second year of existence, the number of stops on the trail is growing.
Shivers, who runs the shop Quilt and Sew at Golden Threads in Trenton, helped set up the minions on South Main Street. She said she enjoys watching people from age 3 and up running from minion to minion taking photos.
“We were going to have one or two minions, and then we made six,” Shivers said of the creative process. “And then we said, ‘Oh, but don’t we need more down there?’ So, I think we have 13.”
The minions are set up in small groups, heading down one side of the street, some waving, others looking off to the side.
Another hay creation has taken the form of “Mike Wazowski,” the green, one-eyed monster from the children’s movie “Monster’s Inc.” He’s been set up so he waves at people as they drive by Na’Kita Barrow-Kennedy’s house on South Main Street in Elkton.
Barrow-Kennedy said the monster in front of her house isn’t the only Mike Wazowski on the trail with another one — this one wearing a hat — at 1625 Pond River Road, also in Elkton.
Because Barrow-Kennedy sees a lot of trick-or-treaters at her home on Halloween, she said it will be an added bonus to see them grab pictures with the monster.
The Bale Trail by location
1. Hoot Scootin’ Boogie, Kentucky 171 and Kentucky 107
2. CowHAYbunga Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, 565 Pilot Rock Road
3. Alarm Clock (glows at night), 798 Collier Springs Roa
4. Toots-HAY-roll 2750 Allegre Road
5. Cr-HAY-per Minecraft, 1919 Allegre Road
6. GhostfHAYce, 2394 Greenville Road
7. Welcome Great Pumpkin, 2375 Greenville Road
8. Monster’s Inc, MikeHAY, 1625 Pond River Road
9. Keep HAYway!, Martin Industries, 206 Elk Fork Road
10. HAY We Deliver! U.S. Post Office, 102 W. Main St.
11. HAYzel, 62 Public Square
12. HAY Y’all, City of Elkton Welcome Center, 1 Public Square
13. HAY Shoppers at Something Special, 84 Public Square
14. HAY! Call a vet, 205 E. Main St.
15. High HAY Chair, 411 E. Main St.
16. HAY-lo Kitty, 503 East Main St.
17. Pac-Man by HAYtari, 103 Allensville St.
18. Hearthstone – The Heart of Todd County,
506 Allensville St.
19. Monsters Inc., 408 S. Main St.
20. DespicHAYble Me, 1234 Old Allensville Road
21. HAY’re Piggy Piggy, 2222 Old Allensville Road
22. HAY it’s Crash, South Todd Elementary School, 4115 Guthrie Road
23. WinnHAY the Pooh, WF Ware Co. 125 Fourth St.
24. MicHAY and MinHAY, 117 N. Main St.
25. DumbBALE, The Body Shop, 102A, Fourth Street
26. Trenton HAY Bus, 250 North Main Street
27. BHAY BHAY Blacksheep, The Blacksheep Bistro, 100 S. Main St.
28. Cupcake HAYkery, 100 S. Main St.
29. HAY Nemo, 4201 Dixie Bee Line Highway
30. Minions HAYing Around, 115 S. Main St.
31. Which Came First? 10170 Guthrie Road